Data Protection Policy
Respecting your privacy and protecting your personal data
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU) collects information to understand your needs better. This helps us to improve our services and the way we communicate with you. We know that privacy is important to you and we strive to be as open and transparent as possible in how we serve you.
We conduct our business in compliance with the Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) and have implemented additional measures to protect your personal information. ERAU’s Data Protection Policy aims to help you understand how we collect, use, share and protect your personal information.
Ways we collect your personal information
We may collect your personal information when you:
- Submit an online request for more information
- Contact us with a question or request for more information
- Apply for admission to ERAU
- Apply for employment with ERAU
- Attend a course conducted by ERAU
- Visit our website
- Participate in a competition or survey
The information we collect
The information we collect depends on your role with ERAU. Here are key examples:
- Your identity – This includes NRIC, FIN or passport number, address, telephone number, e-mail address, date of birth, and academic history.
- Your interaction with us – For example, notes from a call you make to us, an email or letter you send to us or other records of any contact you have with us.
- Your student account information – For example, the programs you have applied for, are enrolled in or other details related to an academic service provided by ERAU.
How we use your information
We may use your information for:
- Administration of services
- Processing of your application for admission
- Enabling us to process bills and payments
- Responding to enquiries and requests from you or people you have authorized
- Informing you about new programs and short courses
We may amend or modify this Policy from time to time, such as in response to changes to legislation. We remain committed to safeguarding your information and being open about our data protection practices.
In addition to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University’s Data Protection Policy, all ERAU students are protected by the United States Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). FERPA is a federal law designed to protect the privacy of and limit access to student educational records. FERPA grants to students certain rights, privileges and protections relative to the identifiable information contained within their educational records maintained by the University. Specifically:
- Students have some control over the disclosure of information. A student's educational records (with the exception of directory information) will be released to third parties outside the University only with the consent of the student.
- Students have the right to inspect, review and request amendment of their educational records.
- Students have the right to challenge information contained within their educational records.
- Students have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education if they believe their rights under FERPA are violated.
Additional information on FERPA is available at http://www.erau.edu/ferpa/
Feel free to contact our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.